I was thinking Greek, and I still had some filo pastry leftover from the Beef Wellington…so I thought Spanikopita. Rather than look for a recipe, I decided to simply include what I thought belonged, and hope the result was good.
The result was indeed good….delicious, even. And since I put together the recipe of my own accord, I can even share!!! Unfortunately this one isn’t Vegan, although with energ-G or an arrowroot slurry it probably could be…I’ll note those possibilities below.
1 large bag fresh spinach
6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp. soy milk
1 egg, or 2 tbsp energy-G or arrowroot/water slurry
8 sheets filo pastry
Salt and Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Heat a large pot over medium heat, coat the bottom with olive oil, and fill with the spinach. Cover, and allow to wilt down.
2. Lay half the filo sheets over the bottom of a glass casserole dish, and brush with the soy milk.
3. Once the spinach has wilted, empty into a large bowl, and mix with the feta, 1 egg (or equivalent) and generous grinds of sea salt and pepper. Layer the mixture over the filo.
4. Cover with the other half of the filo pastry, and coat the top with more milk.
5. Cook in the oven for twenty minutes
This was really simple and very good. My other half insists it had a smoky flavor to it…I’m guessing it’s from the spinach. The only thing I’d change (besides trying out a vegan version) would be to use even more spinach and feta, since the filling was a bit thin…amazing how much spinach shrinks.